This is a companion to my Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

When my husband and I started planning a trip to New Zealand, I was delighted to read about the large number of unique birds that reside there. Having exhausted the supply of new birds at home, this was a welcome opportunity to continue my birding education. This blog will cover the various birding sites on the North and South Islands and (hopefully) the multitude of birds we encounter there.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Waikanae

Where the Waikanae River meets the Tasman Sea, there are walking trails on both sides of the river. From the north side, I saw this bird amid a flock of gulls. With its large, flat, spatulated bill, it's pretty obvious where the Royal Spoonbill gets its name.


No comments:

Post a Comment