This is a companion to my Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

When my husband and I started planning a trip to New Zealand, I was delighted to read about the large number of unique birds that reside there. Having exhausted the supply of new birds at home, this was a welcome opportunity to continue my birding education. This blog will cover the various birding sites on the North and South Islands and (hopefully) the multitude of birds we encounter there.

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Arthur's Pass

Stopping at a lookout in Arthur's Pass, we were delighted to find a fair number of Kea. These alpine parrots are related to the North Island Kaka. Needless to say, I kept my eye on these birds after my Kaka encounter.


We had been warned about Kea trying to carry away unguarded items and causing damage to cars; however, I hadn't heard how entertaining their behaviour was. I found their antics quite comical. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment