This is a companion to my Bird of the Day blog, which focuses on birds I have seen in Victoria, Canada.

When my husband and I started planning a trip to New Zealand, I was delighted to read about the large number of unique birds that reside there. Having exhausted the supply of new birds at home, this was a welcome opportunity to continue my birding education. This blog will cover the various birding sites on the North and South Islands and (hopefully) the multitude of birds we encounter there.

Monday, February 13, 2012

Turangi

We woke up this morning to our first day of rain since arriving in New Zealand.  However, by early afternoon the sky had cleared and we were able to get out for a long walk along the river. Although Turangi's claim to fame is its fish, birds were present in abundance as well.

Silvereye

Chaffinch (female)

Chaffinch (male)



Yellowhammer
Paradise Shelduck (male)
Paradise Shelduck (female)


Little Black Shag


Little Shag



No comments:

Post a Comment